A place for thoughts, ideas and discoveries

Monday, August 30, 2010

Luther and I...

  I was thinking this morning about Martin Luther and how he was set free from all his self-imposed penance by Scripture.  How could anyone keep himself under such physical and spiritual bondage voluntarily?  How in the world did he think he could accomplish anything thru all his self-punishment and self-torture? How did that ingratiate him to God in any way?  What a waste!!...right?...

  So, I put my shoes on and go for a walk.  The minute I step out the door and begin walking, I totally overlook the obvious...a beautiful morning complete with birds singing and breeze blowing.  Never mind that! I'm too busy "bringing my petitions" to God, making sure all my prayer requests are prayed for, confessing, etc...  Isn't that what I'm supposed to do?

  Once again, my faithful Heavenly Father brings me out of my foolishness to His all-encompassing wisdom.  Am I really that different from Luther before Scripture set him free?  Am I enjoying  or enduring the journey?  I have decided this day to give myself permission to enjoy this journey called life.  To look at it with renewed eyes of joy and wonder.  I don't have to stay home with the kids...I GET TO spend time with them and get to know them better.  I don't have to go for a walk for my heart rate and excess pounds...I GET TO enjoy nature and talk to my Savior!  I don't have to approach my circumstances today as helpless happenings, I GET TO see what situations my Heavenly Father has arranged for me today so that I can know Him better.

   What a wonderful thing a change of perspective is!  It's like getting new contacts, or cleaning your smudgy glasses, or getting into your comfy clothes when you get home.  Luther was not the only one in bondage and self-inflicted joylessness.  Oh LORD, help me to experience joy in the journey.  Keep me from the subtle trap of purposeful discontent and lead me into the full joy of experiencing your presence every moment of the day.

"There is a joy in the journey,
there's a Light we can love on the way;
There is a wonder, and while there is life,
a freedom for those who obey."
 Michael Card  (Joy in the Journey)

No comments:

Post a Comment